Welrod silent pistol

Weapon models discussion
Andy2k3

Welrod silent pistol

Post by Andy2k3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:44 am

Something I'd like to see is a model of the Welrod silent pistol, which originated in WWII. It was in use until the Falklands conflict at least, with some reports saying that it was deployed in Desert Storm.

As a gun design it is unique. the internal baffles were made from rubber, and fully sealed the barrel with the exception of a cross cut in the baffles. The round would open the cut before sealing it again, and the entire system needed to be replaced every 15 rounds.
The sound is said to be like fingers snapping, and virtually inaudible in many situations.

Another model I'd like to see is the De-Lisle suppressed sub-machine gun from WWII. Specifically designed around a suppressor, this was said to be the quietest automatic weapon in WWII.

Fastwolf

Re: Welrod silent pistol

Post by Fastwolf » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:03 am

Both very interesting weapons, +1

A detail, the de lisle was a carbine, hand action (not automatic or semi). In fact, was an enfield rifle, with a suppressed barrel, and rechambered and reworked to use .45 ammo (that is subsonic so easily suppressed). Some of them use even the colt 1911 magazine, other a modified enfield mag that collected the spent cartridges.

Regards

Flaming Lambo

Post by Flaming Lambo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:37 am

Fifteen rounds?! If it had to be replaced that early, then I don't think that would attract anyone, even back in WW2. Are you sure that's correct? I have heard of it beforemainly because of iGun Proand it is an interesting weapon. Definatly something that I'd want to see in this app.
Gun Dissasembly, Hot Rod Dissasembly, what's next? Skyscraper Disassembly?

Andy2k3

Post by Andy2k3 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:45 am

Not having first hand experience I can only go by a few net based quotes, but I think 15 rounds is likely to be correct - the rubber seals which form the baffles COMPLETELY obscure the bullet path, with no central hole for it to pass through - the round opens the cross which is cut into the baffle, and these would obviously be worn down by the round passing through.

The Welrod was designed as a silent pistol, and therefore anything that compromised the silence would be a bad thing - hence the reason for changing damaged baffles. Although it had a magazine of sorts, each round was fed into the breach manually, so it isn't something you spray around in a hurry, therefore 15 rounds isn't too bad. One had to also unload the spent cartridge manually before inserting a new live round. I imagine it would still function well enough without the replacement, but a silent pistol which is no longer silent isn't much use.

The gun would normally be used to take out sentries or perform silent assassinations or something else along those lines, so it would be carried as a secondary weapon, with the sole purpose of initial contact I guess.
It would be something used for a definite kill - the soldier wouldn't carry it as his normal pistol, which could be raised and a couple of rounds put down if a chance encounter happened, rather it would be carried alongside a 'normal' pistol and long weapons/SMGs, and only pulled out when a definite threat was expected, and preferably already sighted; when a stealthy approach and careful aim was required - the soldier wouldn't get a second chance.

Stronger
DevTeam

Post by Stronger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:51 am

we will make Welrod

Andy2k3

Post by Andy2k3 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Great!
It will be really interesting to see the results.

Andy2k3

Post by Andy2k3 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks for that!

Just downloaded the Welrod, very interesting to see this amazing bit of kit :D

Stronger
DevTeam

Post by Stronger » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Welrod has been released for iOS, Android and PC